[cgl_discussion] Using XML-RPC for Remote Access to openHpi Libraries

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Mon May 5 15:47:19 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 22:26, David Judkovics wrote:
> I'm working in the SourceForge openHpi project.  openHpi will provide an
> industry standard for monitoring and control.  Our architecture requires
> remote procedure calls to instances of the openHpi library on remote

Define "remote". If we are talking about computers inside network
element ("nodes in same cluster", if you prefer), then both RPC and
XML-RPC are too slow/unrealiable to be used. If we are talking about
management interface outside the element, then maybe, although it better
be encrypted (over ssh or whatever). But seeing how flaky RHN is (they
use XML-RPC), I think I would use something simpler, but that is my
off-hand personal opinion only ;-)