[cgl_discussion] Using XML-RPC for Remote Access to openHpi Libraries

Rusty Lynch rusty at linux.co.intel.com
Mon May 5 22:42:07 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 16:07, Steven Dake wrote:
> What interfaces/implementation portions do you need RPC for?

If you want to manage components on another machine, and you do not have
a common management bus like IPMB, then you need this.

> Perhaps
> the SAF AIS could be used for your messaging needs for an integrated
> solution?

This is below AIS.

> An HPI implementation that depends on something like rpc is
> unlikely to be widely used for several reasons (security, performance,
> reliability, requirement of more management of an http server and xml
> parser from the administrator).

Actually, I believe most users will have a dedicated management networks
for this kind of traffic, but that is kind of what we are feeling
feedback for.  (By management network, I mean a local subnet just
connecting machines in a rack together.)

> Shouldn't HPI just reside on one node, and not require multiple node access?

No, the spec clearly models an environment where HPI manages components
on multiple machines.  The exact remote protocol was not specified in
the 1.0 spec, so we have to do our own and then adapt when a standard is
decided on.

Remember, this is an implementation detail of the HPI implementation,
not something the HPI user is exposed to (other then they have access to
hardware components on remote machines.)