[cgl_discussion] Using XML-RPC for Remote Access to openHpi L ibraries

Cress, Andrew R andrew.r.cress at intel.com
Tue May 6 12:22:59 PDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Rusty Lynch [mailto:rusty at linux.co.intel.com]

[snip]
> Shouldn't HPI just reside on one node, and not require multiple node
access?

No, the spec clearly models an environment where HPI manages components
on multiple machines.  The exact remote protocol was not specified in
the 1.0 spec, so we have to do our own and then adapt when a standard is
decided on.

Remember, this is an implementation detail of the HPI implementation,
not something the HPI user is exposed to (other then they have access to
hardware components on remote machines.)

> Thanks
> -steve
>
> David Judkovics wrote:
>

> > I'm working in the SourceForge openHpi project.  openHpi will provide
[snip]

-------
I had been thinking that the HPI interface was primarily intended for local
hardware-independence,
where the element manager (or some HPI-compliant stub) would reside locally
and the remote communication would be handled above the HPI interface, not
within the HPI library implementation as seems to be implied here.  If it
remains above the line, there is a lot more flexibility of LAN/WAN
communication paths.

Andy