[cgl_discussion] Using XML-RPC for Remote Access to openHpi L ibraries

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue May 6 12:43:24 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 12:22:59PM -0700, Cress, Andrew R wrote:
<snip>
> I had been thinking that the HPI interface was primarily intended for local
> hardware-independence,
> where the element manager (or some HPI-compliant stub) would reside locally
> and the remote communication would be handled above the HPI interface, not
> within the HPI library implementation as seems to be implied here.  If it
> remains above the line, there is a lot more flexibility of LAN/WAN
> communication paths.

HPI is definitely intended to be remotable from my reading of the
specification.  Reference Section 3.6 and 3.7 of the HPI spec for more
information on this.

If a consumer of HPI decided to use HPI only in a local context, and do
remoting above that line, that would be valid policy for that user.
However, in general, there exists a need to have remotability of HPI

	-Sean