[cgl_discussion] Using XML-RPC for Remote Access to openHpi L ibraries

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed May 7 07:22:42 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 07:01:18AM -0700, Cress, Andrew R wrote:
> OK, but I think this may need more explanation.
>
> In the brief explanation in section 3.7, what appears to be key is that
> where the platform provides a proxy or remote interface, such as
> CMM-to-blades, HPI sessions should use it seamlessly.  However, I'm
> concerned when section 3.7 is interpreted so that all HPI sessions opened by
> a given library implementation have to go through RPC or similar before
> accessing the platform resources, which are often local to the library.  I
> don't think that was the intent of the spec was it?
>
> If the RPC-like stuff is intended to be skipped for local resources, then I
> think we're on the same page.

Yes, RPC would *not* be used for local access.  If you can access a resource
directly, it will be done that way.  However, if you want to use HPI to
manage machines that are physically seperate from where your HPI enabled app
is residing, some kind of remoting (be it RPC or something else), is a
requirement.

	-Sean