[cgl_discussion] CGL SNMP support proposal

Peter Badovinatz tabmowzo at us.ibm.com
Tue May 13 15:52:00 PDT 2003

Kurt Taylor wrote:

> I would like to propose the following for SNMP support for the CGL
> recommendations for OSDL. In section 1.5 of the Requirements Definition
> v1.1, SNMP support requirements are defined.  I would like to see the
> following clarifications added to the new recommendation.  I would be happy
> to answer any questions or comments on this proposal.

Kurt,

Thank you.

To everyone, I've pulled this in as proposed updates to the draft v2
specs, please comment on this.  It will also be one of the items that
we'll discuss during the face to face meeting next week in Helsinki.  If
you can't be there, please post your comments here!

The latest public draft of the OSDL CGL General Systems requirements (in
which SNMP related items appear) is at:
http://developer.osdl.org/docs/osdl_carrier_grade_linux_working_group_security_requirements_release_2.pdf

Kurt's proposal isn't there, since it's just received, but there are
other SNMP items specific to IPv6, the final view will be a combination
of these.

> 1) Narrow the scope for the SNMP support - propose standardizing on NetSNMP
> project:  The identity of this project has changed and is now called
> NetSNMP (formerly known as UCD-SNMP) . The NetSNMP source tree is the only
> SNMP agent of this linage that will be enhanced with new functionality,
> including the required IPv6 support. IPv6 support is in development and
> will not be available in the UCD-SNMP source tree.
>
> 2) Define a baseline MIB support for distributions - propose a minimum of
> the following MIB extension support:
>
> (Embedded image moved to file: pic29692.jpg)

Is there a difference between the below list and your jpg?  I didn't see
anything, but I may have missed something.

> Here is a revised paragraph (from the Requirements Definition v1.1; section
> 1.5), that includes the proposed additions to the recommendation:
>
> Requirement: 1.5 SNMP Support
> Version Assignment: Core
> Application Type: G, S, M
> Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) support. All three versions of
> SNMP agent (SNMPv1, SNMPv2, and SNMPv3) shall be supported. The recommended
> project is net-snmp, formally known as ucd-snmp (available at:
> http://www.net-snmp.org). To establish a base level of support, platforms
> using Linux with carrier grade enhancements, should minimally provide
> support for the following for MIB extensions (and their corresponding
> included extensions) :
>
> RFC1213-MIB
> RFC-1215
> IF-MIB
> IP-MIB
> TCP-MIB
> UDP-MIB
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB
> UCD-SNMP-MIB
> NET-SNMP-AGENT-MIB
> NET-SNMP-MIB
> NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB
> SNMP-MPD-MIB
> SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB
> SNMP-TARGET-MIB
> SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB
> SNMP-VIEW-BASED-ACM-MIB
> SNMPv2-CONF
> SNMPv2-MIB
> TUNNEL-MIB
> DISMAN-EVENT-MIB
> MTA-MIB
>
> Regards,
>
> Kurt R Taylor
>
> International Business Machines, Corp.
> 11400 Burnet Rd. Austin, TX 78758    (512) 838-2496    T/L:  678

Peter
--
Peter R. Badovinatz aka 'Wombat' -- IBM Linux Technology Center
preferred: tabmowzo at us.ibm.com / alternate: wombat at us.ibm.com
These are my opinions and absolutely not official opinions of IBM, Corp.