[cgl_discussion] New Top Issues item: SVC.1.4 - UDP MIBS

Venkata Jagana jagana at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 5 17:51:58 PST 2003

Looks like this problem is blown out of proportion but let me
try to clarify this :)

Please keep in mind that corresponding to each of the MIBs, there is a
user (net-snmp) and a kernel component. As far as the kernel component
goes,
IBM is still aiming to complete the implementation of UDP MIB by end of
this year and in fact, the implementation will be based upon the new
unified UDP draft (which is not going to be a major change from the
current UDP/IPv6 RFC document except for the fact that now both IPv4
and Ipv6 are combined). I am not sure about what Yixiong's plans
are regarding this MIB support as far user component (net-snmp) goes
but I would believe that if it is committed to be implemented by end of
this year then I don't see any problem with this new draft either.
If you are still seeing this as an issue, then you need to track it.

>In addition, there is no open source implementation of the old RFC.

This is not true for both kernel and user (net-snmp) components.
btw, there exists an implementation for Ipv6 UDP MIB within the kernel
source tree but it is incorrectly implemented. And as far as the user
component goes, according to Yixiong, there already exists an
implementation within net-snmp per old RFC (see this following thread
(http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/cgl_discussion/2003-February/000922.html)
but this implementation need to change based upon the new draft.

>So, I propose we place this on the Top Issues list to track to ensure
>there is an open source project that meets

I don't see a need for separate open source project. There already exists
net-snmp to cover user portion and the kernel components are submitted
to the mainline and they are getting accepted and integrated.

However, I agree that we need to track this as a top issue since there are
so many dependencies (kernel/net-snmp/ietf standard/..) and we don't have
much time left.

Thanks,
Venkat

                      "Fleischer, Julie N"
                      <julie.n.fleischer at intel.c        To:       <cgl_discussion at osdl.org>
                      om>                               cc:
                      Sent by:                          Subject:  [cgl_discussion] New Top Issues item:  SVC.1.4 - UDP MIBS
                      cgl_discussion-bounces at lis
                      ts.osdl.org

                      11/05/2003 04:03 PM

Along the lines of our SVC.1.4 discussion on the errata for this
requirement:  Because the UDB MIBS draft is new, there isn't be enough time
to implement a product based on this draft this year (see Yixiong's
original email).  There was also originally some concern that it is still
unstable, but Venkata believes that it is not.  In addition, there is no
open source implementation of the old RFC.

So, we don't currently have a PoC implementation for the UDP MIBS portion
of SVC.1.4.  Yixiong believes that by Q1 of 2004 there could be an
implementation (It's not in our original goal of end of 2003, but maybe
this would meet distros schedule nonetheless?).

So, I propose we place this on the Top Issues list to track to ensure there
is an open source project that meets all of requirement SVC.1.4 for CGL 2.0
at least by Q1 2004.

- Julie

**These views are not necessarily those of my employer.**