[cgl_discussion] DCML

Rusty Lynch rusty at linux.co.intel.com
Tue Nov 18 10:10:21 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:28:57PM +0100, Adriano Galano wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Would be DCML [
> http://news.com.com/2100-1013_3-5108436.html?tag=nefd_top ] part of CG
> Linux specs?
>
> Maybe it would make sense in the Data Center Linux project. But IMO
> interoperability would be one layer also in the CG effort.
>
> Comments?
>
> Regards,
>
> -Adriano

"Data Center Markup Language".... oh, man, looks like yet another mechanism
for modeling a system (including operating system and hardware.)

Lets see... we have (in no particular order):
* SNMP (with MIBs for everything from IPv6 to a candy machine)
* CIM (Including WBEM which also has an XML grammer)
* HPI (which will probobly have to provide a remote protocol in the next spec)
* IPMI (with it's IPMI LAN protocol)
* What was the Microsoft XMLish modeling technology?
 ... and now ...
* DCML

Am I forgeting anything? It would be nice to put all of these techologies
in perspective in the 3.0 spec.  DCL should also have the same view of the
universe (even if the recommendation on which technology to use is different.)

    --rustyl

* Build a grammer, and solution will come