[cgl_discussion] [coyote@coyotegulch.com: 2.6.0 and Checkpointing]

Zhao, Forrest forrest.zhao at intel.com
Mon Nov 24 18:28:46 PST 2003

I have some thoughts about data check point service, just share them with you.

Generally speaking, there are two kinds of check-point services in terms of transparency.
The first kind of check-point service is transparent to user/application.  CHPOX is just such kind of service. The major advantage of this kind is: there is no need to modify the application programs, the check pointing is done transparent to apps. The disadvantage of this kind is: it must save the whole process running context, so this can lead to inefficiency caused by saving unrelated, redundant data.
The second kind of check-point service is not transparent to user/apps.
The data check point service defined by SAF(www.saforum.org)/AIS is such kind. The advantage of this kind is: the user can choose what specific data to check point, so reduce the volume of data to be saved. But the major disadvantage is: the developers have to insert the check-pointing API to apps in order to get data check-pointing service, so this kind of check-point service is not transparent to user/apps.

So there is a tradeoff between two kinds of services. But I'm wondering if the carrier companies are willing to modify their product quality software in order to get check-pointing service?

Thanks,
Forrest