[cgl_discussion] Re: [dcl_discussion] ANNOUNCE: OSDL Clusters (foundational components)

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Wed Nov 26 13:27:33 PST 2003

On 2003-11-26T13:07:47,
   John Cherry <cherry at osdl.org> said:

John,

please let me briefly voice my strong concern about starting yet another
project for clustering. Linux already has many membership services etc;
what would be needed is integration and shepherding and standard APIs,
not another implementation!

That is not a good use of engineering resources.

Are you proposing to supplement one of these, or do you really, really
want to start one from scratch?!

There are also reasonably strong reasons arguing against implementing
these in kernel space. I'm sure you have heard the summary of them:
Maintenance, mainline / vendor acceptance etc.

Could you please clarify the rationale?

> the network.  Applications and other cluster services (checkpointing,
> resource managegers, etc.) would simply subscribe to membership events.

Implementation for data checkpointing and some others actually already
exist for Linux heartbeat, and all in user-space.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering	      \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SUSE Labs			      | try again. fail again. fail better.