[cgl_discussion] ANNOUNCE: OSDL Clusters (foundational components)

john cherry cherry at osdl.org
Sun Nov 30 10:35:08 PST 2003

Jon,

The intent of this announcement was to inform the community that three
open clustering projects are underway.  You are very aware of this.  I'm
not sure what you are saying about "going out" with these projects.  We
have been going down the path of parallel TIPC implementations for quite
some time.  The focus of the OSDL project is to give TIPC the best chance
of being incorporated into the "mainline" (either the base kernel or
general distro acceptance).  Much work has been done to remove the
additional complexity and overhead involved in portability and to leverage
Linux capabilities such as memory management and list handling. The focus
of the Ericsson project has been portability.  More recently, you have
also focused on mainline Linux acceptance as well, but these goals may be
mutually exclusive.  As we discussed earlier, the intent is to revisit
both implementations in a few weeks and evaluate them both for mainline
acceptability.

It is not the intent of OSDL to "compete" with member companies, but
rather to accellerate the adoption of *Linux* by working with the Linux
community to develop a clusterable OS.

John