[cgl_discussion] Memory leak/corruption detection tools for Linux

ville.lavonius at nokia.com ville.lavonius at nokia.com
Thu Oct 2 05:08:02 PDT 2003

Yeah, this is definitely a worthy candidate for 3.0 feature.  And
I think C++ has to be considered as well.

> The issue is memory leak/corruption detection tools for
> malloc/new/new[]/free...
> What this customer was after is a tool that does the basic memory leak
> and
> memory corruption checks that can be compiled in or run on an existing
> binary
> that overloads the C/C++ memory allocation APIs. Has to work in a
> multi-thread
> environment.
>
> There are a lot of Linux tools to do this listed in:
>      http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6059

There's a followup article on C++-tools available from the magazine
as well:

> and a summary of available tools at:
> http://www.cs.colorado.edu/homes/zorn/public_html/MallocDebug.html
> although it's a bit old (2/22/2001).

Here's another one - which, surprisingly enough, contains pretty much
the same tools:
http://www.fortran-2000.com/ArnaudRecipes/FreeMemoryDB.html

Mozilla hosts a list of tools as well:
http://www.mozilla.org/performance/tools.html

--
/* Ville Lavonius  --  Nokia/NET/PCCP/He/FlexiServer
   +358-40-514 9523 (GMT+2) */