[cgl_discussion] RE: ANNOUNCE: User-space System Device Enumation (uSDE)

Guo, Min min.guo at intel.com
Tue Oct 28 21:12:26 PST 2003

Here I try to summary out some difference for uSDE and uDEV,any comments are welcome!
In my opinion, competition is good and user can choose one they like because both of them
are user-space applications with a little minor kernel changes,is that right?

1.For the IDE/SCSI/PCI hotplug devices.
 uDEV:
	edit namedev.config manually to specify certain map,
	if slot change or device change, user can re-edit namedev.config
 uSDE
	record the id or slot at the first time, when move device to new slot or change to a new same type device,
	automatically persist the name.
	user can also specify map manually.

2.For non-hotplug device
 uDEV:
	   not deal with it
 uSDE
	   scan at boot time and also perform policy method. so when moved or replaced devcie when the machine is
down, the name can also be persisted.

3. for multipath device.
uDEV
	    not support it.
uSDE
	    automatically detect mulitpath device and create md device. support hot add a new path and remove a path.

4. ethernet
 uDEV
	    not deal with it
 nameif
	   name interface based on MAC,
 uSDE
	   can set map based on MAC, SLOT.
	   support both setting manually map and automatic processing
	   support hotplug, eg. when exchange two device, the name can also be exchanged automatically.
  .
5.devfs simulation
  uDEV
	   No such function
  uSDE
	    provide devfs simulation method.

>From the above comparsion, we can see uSDE really have some advantages.As far maintaince,
I think that more codes don't mean lacking maintainability.

Thanks
Guo Min