[cgl_discussion] Re: ATCA Requirements Take 2

John J Grana jjg at pt.com
Tue Sep 9 14:58:48 PDT 2003

Steven,
      Are these requirements just for ATCA? Can we also then take a shot at
CompactPCI. I realize there are lots of holes in various implementations on
CompactPCI, but I still feel strongly we need to be able to support cPCI
(2.16 and CompacTCA) versions. Even if it means cPCI vendors will need to:

1) Support IPMI
2) Support some set of IPMI commands and data structures (possibly the set
we are defining for ATCA)

If we think we can do this, we can expand the scope of Hot Swap to "ATCA
and cPCI".

Ok?

Cheers
jjg

             Steven Dake
             <sdake at mvista.com
                                       cgl_discussion at osdl.org,
             09/09/2003 05:54          eric.chacron at alcatel.fr,
             PM                        jjg at pt.com, Richard.Somes at fci.com
                                                                        cc

             sdake at mvista.com          ATCA Requirements Take 2

Folks

Here is take 2 of the requirements for ATCA.

Requirement: ATCA IPMI Support

The IPMI system shall implement the new IPMI commands, data structures,
and sensors defined in the ATCA specification.

Requirement: Block Device Removal

The Linux kernel should allow removal of a block device while it is in
use without degrading reliability of the system.  The block device shall
be removeable even if in use by an open file (fdisk /dev/sda), a raid
volume, or a filesystem or multiples thereof.

Requirement: shutdown systemcall integrated with ATCA system management

The Linux kernel shall ensure that the  shutdown system call uses the
ATCA system management IPMI interface to power down the system and light
the blue led.

Requirement: Multiple Host Syncronized Device Hotswap

When multiple hosts are using the same block or character device, and a
user requests to remove the device, the device's blade wont be powered
off and if a blue led is available, lit, until all systems in the
collection of machines using the device have removed the device from
their respective Linux kernel data structures.