[cgl_discussion] Re: ATCA Requirements Take 2

John J Grana jjg at pt.com
Wed Sep 10 10:55:38 PDT 2003

             Steven Dake
             <sdake at mvista.com
                                       John J Grana <jjg at pt.com>
             09/09/2003 06:20                                           cc
             PM                        cgl_discussion at osdl.org,
                                       eric.chacron at alcatel.fr,
                                       Richard.Somes at fci.com
             sdake at mvista.com          Re: ATCA Requirements Take 2

Sorry I am late responding - the Call already happened???

What I would recommend is something like the following:

 Requirement: ATCA and CompactPCI IPMI Support

 The IPMI system shall implement the new IPMI commands, data structures,
 and sensors defined in the ATCA specification. CompactPCI based systems
can be
 supported under this specification by implementing the ATCA IPMI command
set
 and data structures.

As Dick Somes mentioned, the definition of IPMI for cPCI systems is not too
strong.
But, if a cPCI vendor wanted to support CGL 2.0 and forward (especially How
Swap), having them
support both IPMI and adopting the newer ATCA defined IPMI commands might
be something they
would be willing to do.

So, I would prefer we change from "ATCA" (only) to "ATCA and CompactPCI".

Cheers
jjg

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 14:58, John J Grana wrote:

> Steven,
>       Are these requirements just for ATCA? Can we also then take a shot
at
> CompactPCI. I realize there are lots of holes in various implementations
on
> CompactPCI, but I still feel strongly we need to be able to support cPCI
> (2.16 and CompacTCA) versions. Even if it means cPCI vendors will need
to:

> 1) Support IPMI
> 2) Support some set of IPMI commands and data structures (possibly the
set
> we are defining for ATCA)
>
> If we think we can do this, we can expand the scope of Hot Swap to "ATCA
> and cPCI".
>
> Ok?

I can bring up expanding these requirements to Compact PCI systems,
however, with our current specs schedule (less then two weeks) I am
likely to be flogged tomorrow.  Do you have any specific requirements
you would like to see?
Thanks
-steve
> Cheers