[cgl_discussion] Booting Linux faster

Patrick Mochel mochel at osdl.org
Fri Sep 19 09:05:22 PDT 2003

> Using make(1) is kind of cool, but I think it is still a hack. What
> really is needed (and this is way I have been dropping hints
> about wanting to address initscripts in some alternative future
> universe) is same type dependency aware system like this:
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/boot-scripts/

I agree that make(1) is a hack, though clever. simpleinit is also a good
idea, and something we looked at using for Midori a few years ago.
However, it had some shortcomings (that I don't recall off the top of my
head). We contacted Gooch, and his attitude was "It works for me fine, so
I have no interest listening to your suggested improvements."

So, we wrote something that was smaller and faster: quickinit. Midori
never went anywhere, though the code is still available. The quickinit
source can be downloaded from:

http://midori.transmeta.com/pub/midori-1.0.0-beta3/apps/quickinit_ML1.0.0-beta3-2.mlz

It's just a tar file, and is small enough to be self-explanatory. If
anyone is interested, feel free to email for more information about it.

	Pat