[Ksummit-2004-discuss] Re: [cgl_discussion] CGL

Wed Jan 28 07:02:23 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 01:38, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:
> solution implementation that better meets the original purpose.  By
> laying a set of requirements, you blind the effort to this
> purpose-driven solution process that seems so natural to kernel
> developers.  (If you're an old fart like me, go back and read
> "Breakthrough Thinking".  Younger folk learned that stuff in grade
> school.)  Setting a requirements document focuses on the problem rather
> than a purpose driven solution.  This happens because the requirement
> masks the purpose.

Well, I think we're beginning the debate in email.

I certainly think that there are enough issues in all this to have an
open debate at the Summit.  I propose the topic "How should the kernel
development community interact with working groups" (hopefully the term
"working groups" is broad enough to cover everything).  With a panel of
say four people from all poles of the spectrum and a reputable neutral
moderator, using a standard debate format (brief statements from each of
the participants followed by questions from the floor).  The object
being not so much to achieve a consensus, but to begin to understand the
scope of all the issues.

James