[cgl_discussion] Re: [Ksummit-2004-discuss] CGL

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Mon Jan 26 12:40:48 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:43:53AM -0800, Mika Kukkonen wrote:
> Seriously, one thing that has annoyed me beyond reason is that people
> keep telling me that "CGL is evil because I read it somewhere", but when
> I try to find where they read it, I almost always fail.

I think most people who commented on CGL on here have their fair deal
of having to deal with it.  Maybe it be by working for a distributor
that was talked into implementing the spec or having to deal with the
completely brainded CGL patches as a subsystem or driver maintainer.

> > Basically how it went on was a closed forum with people from various
> > industry groups sitting down behind closed doors writing a large spec
>
> Let me give you some history: CGL and it predecessors existed way before
> it was announced to be an OSDL working group January 2002, and before
> that it _was_ a very closed and selected group of companies having the
> same itch (namely use of Linux and OSS in telecom industry) and
> wondering how to scratch it. So it is no wonder, that it has taken some
> time to transform the mind set of some management people to a more open
> direction.

Sorry for disrupting your nice marketing speech, but their intent was of
course not to use linux in the telco industries.  Their intent was to
get the same thing they always did, just cheaper.  And Linux + commodity
hardware seemed to be the best way to get that (and probably it _is_)

> And this still puzzles me; why you people feel so threatened and
> insulted by CGL? I mean all we have produced so far is couple documents
> that you, the kernel developers, can just ignore. So why all this hate?

Because a bunch of id^H^Hphbs coming up with a spec is never helpful.

> existence. Of course it can always be argued that projects like OpenHPI
> (http://openhpi.sourceforge.net/) would exist even without CGL, but my

And it wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't existed.  One project more or
less implementing a stupid spec more or less doesn't change the world.