[cgl_discussion] Announcing Non-intrusive Kernel Monitor Project

Rusty Lynch rusty at linux.jf.intel.com
Thu Jun 10 15:43:31 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 03:28:26PM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> patch looks acceptable..  Although character drivers that implement
> ioctls are poorly received...  Have you thought of a sysfs mechanism to
> plug this into the kernel?
>
> Thanks
> -steve

I kind of expected to get push back on the char device with ioctl mechanism for
registering events.  The way I was looking at this, this patch was more of
an experiment to see how much of a system impact we would see for delivering
the key events via a signal.  Using a char device was just the quickest way
to get something working.

I'm not so sure sysfs is the right answer.  The registration/deregistration
stuff doesn't seem to map very well to sysfs.

Other ideas are:
  - add new system calls
  - add a proc entry
  - add a netlink interface

One thing I like about the char device is that as soon as the device is
closed, we can nuke all the registration request the monitor made.  I guess
the same thing could be done with the other methods, but it wouldn't be
as simple.

So... I don't know.  I was hoping to hear some strong arguments here on
how to [de]register (ie. char device, system call, etc.)

    --rusty