[cgl_discussion] Live patching project announcement

Rusty Lynch rusty at linux.jf.intel.com
Thu Jun 10 17:53:36 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:26:59AM +0900, Takashi Ikebe wrote:
> Hello,
> Yes, that is correct, and current release does not have any function
> to prevent to be abused syscall from.
> We are developing new version internaly and new version's systemcall
> is only available by root.

Interesting technology.  I'm playing around with your sample, but the project
is in bad need of some documentation. At least a man page for the pannus
utility.

A couple of questions:

How do you debug your application after it has been patched?  It's pretty
easy to send a bogus patch (did it a couple of times so far while
experimenting with the technology), but when the process segfaults...
then what?

Do you think the time delay in applying the patch will need to always be
as long as it is now?  Looks like we interrupt the process for 5sec now.
Wouldn't that cause you to loose most of your sessions and therefore loose
the benefit of not just stopping/starting to a new version of you app.

    --rusty