[cgl_discussion] CGL 3.0 performance draft announcement

Peter Badovinatz tabmowzo at us.ibm.com
Thu May 6 10:34:58 PDT 2004

Adriano Galano wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Nothing about Infiniband, iSCSI,  RDMA, clusters or grid filesystems in the
> draft?

Adriano,

We have a separate spec draft dedicated to clustering (and including
cluster file/data access), see:
http://www.osdl.org/docs/cgl_clustering_requirements_definition___v30.pdf

I can't say that we've spent any real time discussing grids, most of
what we anticipate as carrier applications we will support will be in
clustered environments, but not really in grids (I define grid here as
the 'utility' computing view), since the systems are more 'fixed'.

Infiniband, iSCSI and RDMA have, likewise, not been items brought up.
We'd likely view them as methods to get function or performance, so we
would tend not to prescribe them as how you have to build the system but
they could be optional components.  We are working on a Hardware
specification, and a discussion of these could take place for that.
Aspects of these would fall into our clustering view as well.

> Regards,
> -Adriano

Peter
--
Peter R. Badovinatz aka 'Wombat' -- IBM Linux Technology Center
preferred: tabmowzo at us.ibm.com / alternate: wombat at us.ibm.com
These are my opinions and absolutely not official opinions of IBM, Corp.