[cgl_discussion] Hardware satisfaction

Micah Anderson micah at riseup.net
Thu May 6 21:34:38 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have been reading with great interest and relief the CGL web pages.
As someone who is trying to achieve Carrier Grade reliability,
availability and scalability using Linux, I have felt as if Linux
development was lacking in this area. Coming from the enterprise telecom
world, I have been fighting to get the componants that one normally
expects in a CGL to work together with linux.

I am very interested to know if the CGL project has done any specific
hardware gap analysis, or relative certifications. In my search for
non-commodity, enterprise level linux servers, I have been often met
with confused stares when I ask if the machine has lights-out
management, or IPMI, or serial console all the way up through the
BIOS, etc. It has been with some struggle that I have found server
quality motherboards and hardware that often don't quite cut the
mustard.

I am interested if there has been hardware work, much like the CGL POC
information that is available here:
http://www.osdl.org/cgi-bin/cgl_wiki.pl?CGL_2.0_Project_List which
shows each software/kernel componant, its relative status, and its gap
analysis. I am looking for something similar in terms of hardware.

Thank you for the work you are doing, it is needed!

Micah