[cgl_discussion] Hardware satisfaction

Fleischer, Julie N julie.n.fleischer at intel.com
Fri May 7 08:55:03 PDT 2004

>I am very interested to know if the CGL project has done any
>specific hardware gap analysis, or relative certifications. In
>my search for non-commodity, enterprise level linux servers, I
>have been often met with confused stares when I ask if the
>machine has lights-out management, or IPMI, or serial console
>all the way up through the BIOS, etc. It has been with some
>struggle that I have found server quality motherboards and
>hardware that often don't quite cut the mustard.
>
>I am interested if there has been hardware work, much like the
>CGL POC information that is available here:
>http://www.osdl.org/cgi-bin/cgl_wiki.pl?CGL_2.0_Project_List
>which shows each software/kernel componant, its relative
>status, and its gap analysis. I am looking for something
>similar in terms of hardware.

This isn't exactly what you want (since it's not referring to the actual
hardware), but CGL 3.0 will include a hardware specification that
describes the operating system changes needed to support hardware.  This
specification should give more information on open source projects that
implement these changes.

- Julie

**These views are not necessarily those of my employer.**