[cgl_discussion] Re: [dcl_discussion] Open Source Driver Summit Minutes

Andrew Morton akpm at osdl.org
Fri Feb 25 14:52:53 PST 2005

Tom Hanrahan <hanrahat at osdl.org> wrote:

> Following are minutes of the Open Source Driver Summit we held in Boston
> on February 16.  My thanks to Craig Thomas for being scribe and writing
> the minutes you see below.

Thanks, Tom.  I went through this with a view to plucking out what I
personally can do to help things along, but nothing really concrete was
apparent.  If it is felt that I, Linus or others need to take some action
then could I ask that it be brought to our attention?

Regarding the actual mechanisms of writing an idiomatic and comtemporary
Linux driver: I'd suggest that an effective step would be to identify good
examples.  Work with the subsystem maintainers to identify a good net
driver, a good SCSI driver, etc then we can tell the hardware vendors "do
it like this".  That would save a ton of grief.

> I encourage any of you interested in continuing this discussion and
> effort to sign up for the os_drivers at osdl.org mailing list.  It is an
> open list and you or anyone interested can enroll using the following
> link:
>
>     http://lists.osdl.org/mailman/lisinfo/os_drivers

That's a bad URL.  Use