[cgl_discussion] Re: [Clusters_sig] A couple of questions

John Cherry cherry at osdl.org
Mon Jan 17 16:15:42 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:53 -0800, Daniel McNeil wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> The list is a bit bigger, so I thought I would re-send out
> a couple of questions:
>
> 1.  One of the topics for discussion was how open source
>      clustering is being used and what features are needed
>      or lacking?
>
>      The OSDL working groups have a list of clustering requirements.
>      Take a look at them here
>      http://developer.osdl.org/dev/clusters/workgroups/
>      and let the list know what features are needed or lacking.

OK...I suppose that the CGL roadmap coordinator should at least give an
assessment of the CGL requirements as they relate to a few of the open
clusters projects.  Feel free to correct these assessments or fill in
the ?? as some may be based on stale data.

Cluster Membership Service (SA Forum AIS)
	OpenAIS - yes
	Linux-ha - yes
	OpenSSI - no
	GFS Cluster - no

Cluster Event Service (SA Forum AIS)
	OpenAIS - yes
	Linux-ha - yes
	OpenSSI - no
	GFS Cluster - no

Cluster Checkpoint Service (SA Forum AIS)
	OpenAIS - yes
	Linux-ha - yes
	OpenSSI - no
	GFS Cluster - no

Cluster Message Service (SA Forum AIS)
	OpenAIS - in development
	Linux-ha - in development
	OpenSSI - no
	GFS Cluster - no

Cluster Lock Service (SA Forum AIS)
	OpenAIS - no
	Linux-ha - no
	OpenSSI - yes, but needs AIS interface
	GFS Cluster - yes, but needs AIS interface

Cluster Avvailability Framework (SA Forum AIS)
	OpenAIS - yes
	Linux-ha - yes
	OpenSSI - no
	GFS Cluster - no

Cluster Node Failure Detection
	OpenAIS - yes
	Linux-ha - yes
	OpenSSI - yes
	GFS Cluster - yes

Dynamic Cluster Membership
	OpenAIS - yes
	Linux-ha - yes
	OpenSSI - yes
	GFS Cluster - yes

Cluster Communication Service - Logical Addressing
	OpenAIS - ?
	Linux-ha - ?
	OpenSSI - ?
	GFS Cluster - ?

Cluster Communication Service - Fault Handling
	OpenAIS - ?
	Linux-ha - ?
	OpenSSI - ?
	GFS Cluster - ?

Prevent Failed Node From Corrupting Shared Resources
	OpenAIS - no
	Linux-ha - yes
	OpenSSI - yes
	GFS Cluster - yes

Application Fail-over Enabling
	OpenAIS - yes
	Linux-ha - yes
	OpenSSI - yes
	GFS Cluster - yes

Redundant Cluster Storage Path
	Multipath I/O

Redundant Cluster Communication Path
	NICbonding
	ifenslave

Storage Network Replication
	drbd
	ndb

Cluster-aware Volume Management for Shared Storage
	evms?
	clvm

Shared Storage Mirroring
	dm - device mapper