[cgl_discussion] Use case - TCP session takeover

John Cherry cherry at osdl.org
Fri Mar 18 07:10:17 PST 2005

Moving this to just cgl_discussion...

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 11:52 +0900, Takashi Ikebe wrote:
> The following is a use case for a TCP session takeover.  This
> addresses CAF.2.3 and CAF.2.4 TCP session takeover on CGL Specification
> 3.0.
> Please feel free to comment / suggestion.
>
> Takashi.
> Description
> OSDL CGL specifies a mechanism to synchronize TCP sockets, buffer
> structures, and sequence numbers so that redundant nodes may take over
> TCP sessions originated on other nodes. A deliberate TCP session
> takeover assumes that TCP session(s) are transferred deliberately and
> not as the result of unexpected node failure(s).
> In addition to that, when a critical resource fails, such as a CPU,
> memory, or kernel, a redundant node may take over TCP sessions
> originated on the failed node. Note that when the TCP session(s) are
> assumed by a redundant node, the sessions will resume from the last
> checkpoint. TCP traffic should continue even if there is a conflict
> between the last TCP state of the failed node and the checkpointed TCP
> state on the redundant node.
>
> Desired Outcome
> Mainline kernel acceptance or distro acceptance.

Takashi, can you be a little more specific on what needs mainline
acceptance or distro acceptance?  I assume the project is "TCP
Connection Passing" on sourceforge (Werner Almesberger).  Is that
correct?  You also mention checkpointing the TCP state in the
description.  What checkpoint mechanism should be used for this?  Is it
part of Werner's project?

> 02i08&year=2005&month=2&srchexpr=Linux#hls1
> Participants/Roles
> Application administrators and developers use the requirement, and as a
> result, end users also use the function as a part of service.

As an administrator, what is my role with TCP session takeover?  Is it
just a matter of setting up a configuration file with policy
descriptions (checkpoint mechanisms, cluster standby definition, etc.)?
In the case of deliberate TCP takeover, what is expected of the
administrator?

Is the developer's role to participate in the "TCP Connection Passing"
project or are you talking about additional development to make a system
or application TCP takover aware?

Shouldn't TCP session takeover be transparent to the user?

> Scenarios
> Basically, the requirement provide new system call and user-land library
> based APIs.
> So the requirement will be setup-ed on k02i08&year=2005&month=2&srchexpr=Linux#hls1ernel installation and also be
> used on application development phase.

Scenarios for using TCP session takeover might be things like...

- Moving connections from one system to another to allow for system
maintenance.
- Moving connections from one node to another to balance the load across
systems.
- TCP session failover in a performance or hiav cluster

Can you put some scenarios like this together for usage scenarios in
typical communications deployments?

Thanks a lot for doing this, Takashi.  This is a great start.

John