[cgl_discussion] Re: [cgl_specs] Use case - Live patching

Timothy D. Witham wookie at osdl.org
Mon Mar 28 08:33:24 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 09:05 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
> Why do you think it is evil?  It is standard practice in most large
> telecom systems as it improves availability.

    Maybe it would be better to word it as "it can improve
availability".
But it really is a hold over from the single large expensive CPU design
days.

    If you don't exercise absolute top down control you get to a
situation
were there isn't a correlation between what is on the disk for a reboot
and what is in memory being executed.   While a phone company
might be able to control their switch with rather infrequent updates
in the general usage this can cause real issues.

 In fact from my support of phone company days I remember a
couple of issues where switches where bounced because of a
major environmental issue and when they came back up they
were missing features and patches.  They were in such a sorry
state that they had to be reloaded in order to function correctly.

    Tim

Timothy D. Witham - Chief Technology Officer - wookie at osdl.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation
12725 SW Millikan Way - Suite 400 - Beaverton OR, 97005
(503)-906-1911  (office)    (503)-702-2871   (cell)
(503)-626-2436  (fax)