[cgl_discussion] Re: [cgl_specs] Use case - Live patching

Brian F. G. Bidulock bidulock at openss7.org
Mon Mar 28 08:14:11 PST 2005

Timothy,

We would stop one of the redundant processors, patch it, and then
bring it back up and switch over from the online side.  A bounce
in the middle could be problematic but that is usually true of all
planned outages.  I don't know of any telco switches that actually
continue running call processing on the same processor that is being
patched.

More related is the telco requirement for version conversion and rollback.
Once the offline side is patched and the database updated, the online side
(unpatched) must be able to run against the new database.

Rpm does not accomplish this latter requirement.

--brian