[cgl_discussion] Re: [cgl_specs] Use case - Live patching

Corey Minyard cminyard at mvista.com
Mon Mar 28 08:38:33 PST 2005

Timothy D. Witham wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 09:05 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
>

>>Why do you think it is evil?  It is standard practice in most large
>>telecom systems as it improves availability.
>>

>    Maybe it would be better to word it as "it can improve
>availability".

Point taken, but that is true for practically any technique to improve
availability.

>But it really is a hold over from the single large expensive CPU design
>days.

Not exactly.  It is useful for any system where you don't want to have
to bring it down (or partially down) to fix a bug or you want to be able
to back out the changes later.  It helps in the following ways:

   1. Reduces time to fix, as applying a patch is generally a lot faster
      than upgrading a system.
   2. Avoids having to go simplex in a 1+1 system.
   3. Allows fixes with undesirable side effects to be easily removed.
      The patch systems I have used allows patches to be removed, and
      fixes with  undesirable side effects happened enough to make that
      very useful.
   4. Allows debugging changes to be installed and removed in the
      field.  I have seen patches used to debug problems in the field.
   5. Avoids the "big bang" effect of installing an update for a fix and
      getting a whole bunch of other changes that may have undesirable
      side effects.

>    If you don't exercise absolute top down control you get to a
>situation
>were there isn't a correlation between what is on the disk for a reboot
>and what is in memory being executed.   While a phone company
>might be able to control their switch with rather infrequent updates
>in the general usage this can cause real issues.
>
> In fact from my support of phone company days I remember a
>couple of issues where switches where bounced because of a
>major environmental issue and when they came back up they
>were missing features and patches.  They were in such a sorry
>state that they had to be reloaded in order to function correctly.

Yes, this is probably the biggest problem with runtime patching.  In the
systems I used, we generally took images of the system with the patches
or we kept applied patches in a directory and applied them all when the
system restarted.

The other big problem is that a very good patching system tends to get
"abused" and used to install major updates, major features, etc.  Things
it is really not intended for.

I don't think this is intended for general systems.  I wouldn't want to
see it on workstations.  But it is useful in very controlled environments.

-Corey