[cgl_discussion] Re: [cgl_specs] Use case - Live patching

Takashi Ikebe ikebe.takashi at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Mar 29 01:38:31 PST 2005

Ralf, I just fix some point which you are worrying, and everyone suggedted.
Please check and tell me your impression.

Description
OSDL CGL specifies that carrier grade Linux shall provide the mechanism
for dynamically replacing the symbols of a running process without
restarting. Dynamic replacement of symbols allows a process to access
patched functions or values without restarting and can improve process
availability.

Desired Outcome
Mainline kernel acceptance.
Distro acceptance to increase system availability while staying in sync with
distro releases.

Participants/Roles
System administrators setup the requirements on installations.
On operation, application developer/administrators should provide patch
module,
and carrier system administrators apply patch to the carrier system
applications
which designed to use the requirement.

Scenarios
On operation, system administrators apply patch with the requirement as
following scenario;
1.System administrators obtains patch modules from application
developer/administrators.
In the case that the application is designed to use the requirement,
system administrators
make patch file from diff file or new version's source code.
2.System administrators load patch to the process with provided live
patch tool.
3.System administrators activate patch to the process with provided live
patch tool.
4.Confirm that the patch is correctly applied or not.
5.If the effect of patch is not desired, remove/deactivate the patch
with provided live patch tool.

Implementation Notes
The requirement need to have following functions;
- The function which loads the patch file to target process's memory area.
- The function which overwrites the branch operation code to the patch,
on the entry point of  target process's functions which wants to fix by
patch.
- The function which restores overwritten branch code.
- The function which unload the patch files.
Through above functions, the requirement realize on-line patch to target
process.
The requirement need to provide on-line patch even if the process is
multi-thread model process, or environment is SMP, and stop time of
target process should not over 100 milliseconds.
To improve usability, boot patch function which syncs binary image on
disk to patched image on memory should be provided.