[cgl_discussion] Re: [cgl_specs] Use case - Live patching

Corey Minyard cminyard at mvista.com
Wed Mar 30 06:11:11 PST 2005

No.  A standard that restricts extra things a distro may do is wrong.
This has nothing to do with verifiable certification.

IMHO, all a distro should be required to do is allow patching of a user
application.  With that, it would clearly meet CGL requirements and it
is verifiable.  A distro may restrict that to only user applications, it
may allow patching of core components, it may only allow it's own
patches to be used for core components, etc.  But adding a restriction
where the distro may not allow it's libraries or OS to be patched is an
extra restriction that adds nothing to certification and limits what a
distro can to beyond the standard to compete in the marketplace.

And you comment about being fuzzy about what is and is not allowed is
not correct.  I'm sure SuSE ships a lot of packages that are not
mentioned in the CGL standard.  Would you like to have to remove all
those packages and only ship what is explicitly mentioned in the
standard?  The standard should be clear about what is required, and
should not be fuzzy about that.  However, it should allow things beyond
the standard.  Allowing this does a couple of things.  It lets the
distro vendor add value beyond the standard.  It shows where the
standard needs to be extended.  And it allows new technology to be
tested in the market.

I believe a limitation like this would be like adding the limitation:
"You can only provide support 12 hours a day."  It's an unnecessary
limitation.  The distro should be able to provide any level of support
it thinks customers require.

-Corey