[cgl_discussion] Re: [cgl_specs] Use case - Live patching

John Cherry cherry at osdl.org
Wed Mar 30 08:50:09 PST 2005

BTW, I am moving this discussion to just cgl_discussion (not cross
posting to cgl_specs and cgl_tech_board).

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 08:54 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
> Yes, I agree.  The requirement should only be for user applications, not
> distro components or kernel.  It should explicitly say so.  However,
> Ralf said:
>
> Then it should be stated very explicitely that this feature may only
> be used for and by applications and that it is forbidden to patch
> the underlying distro with it.
>

> which would restrict the feature to forbid patching the distro components.

Just some clarification.  The CGL requirements do not dictate
implementations.  The CGL requirements do not restrict the usage of a
capability, they only define the core capability that must exist.  The
usage models that we are developing are intended to describe how the
capability WILL be used by customers (NEPs, carriers, or end users).

So....

The core requirement should be crisp in defining that live patching MUST
apply to user applications.  This should not limit an implmentation from
also allowing live patching of distro components or the kernel.  It
should not dictate a user-space only implementation.

Let's help Takashi with the actual usage cases for live patching.  For
instance, can we identify some specific applications or application sets
that would benefit from live patching?  We should at least be able to
call out some application types. Is 100ms for suspending an application
reasonable?  How would a multi-threaded application update work?  Etc.

TIA,
John