[cgl_discussion] Re: [cgl_specs] Use case - Live patching

Ralf Flaxa rf at suse.de
Thu Mar 31 00:57:43 PST 2005

> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 08:54 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
> > Yes, I agree.  The requirement should only be for user applications, not
> > distro components or kernel.  It should explicitly say so.  However,
> > Ralf said:
> >
> > Then it should be stated very explicitely that this feature may only
> > be used for and by applications and that it is forbidden to patch
> > the underlying distro with it.
> >

> > which would restrict the feature to forbid patching the distro components.

It has to be possible for a distro to be able to say we have this feature
but we do not allow patching the base OS with it (without losing support).
It can be an optional clause, but if a distro wants to make this clear
and impose this then it has to be possible. Otherwise this requirement
will never be followed by SUSE/Novell. Your choice.

	Ralf