[cgl_discussion] Re: [cgl_specs] Use case - Live patching

Takashi Ikebe ikebe.takashi at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Mar 31 02:52:46 PST 2005

I see,
I also rewrite the description.
The new description will be reflected to version 3.1 requirement.

Description
OSDL CGL specifies that carrier grade Linux shall provide a mechanism and
framework by which a custom application can be built so that it can be
upgraded by replacing symbols in its live process.
Dynamic replacement of symbols allows a process to access upgraded functions
or values without requiring a process restart, and in many circumstances can
lead to improved process availability and uptime.
The mechanism should be applied only to user applications, patch to
underlying
distribution software component may lose distribution support.