[cgl_discussion] A concept/framework not a distribution ?

Peter R. Badovinatz tabmowzo at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 19 17:27:18 PDT 2007

Holger,
Your conclusion about CGL is that our specification is indeed a
collection of functional requirements.  A distributor needs to provide
functional capabilities that satisfy those requirements to have a
"Carrier Grade Linux" distribution.

Included among the requirements are security requirements that describe
the functional capabilities needed to provide a secure CGL distribution.
    But, as these are a collection of functional requirements they do
not alone guarantee a secure system.  It is still necessary to ensure
that these capabilities are supported in the system, are configured, and
are able to be activated at run-time.

The CGL specification attempts to address a variety of system
deployments and not all actual deployments will need all requirements.
It's still necessary to determine the specific security needs for your
deployment to ensure that the proper capabilities can be provided and
activated in your environment.

There is much more information on the Carrier Grade Linux specifications
and related information from:
http://old.linux-foundation.org/lab_activities/carrier_grade_linux
With the merger of the OSDL and FSG the web site is in a bit of flux but
you should be able to find the information.