[cgl_discussion] A concept/framework not a distribution ?

Mico Naddeo mico at nortel.com
Tue Mar 20 07:00:13 PDT 2007

Holger,

I understand that you are not familiar with the term distribution so let
me explain this. A distribution is a set of linux software tested and
validated to a linux kernel. It is then productized by the
"distributor". A distribution is also a set of software aimed at
different users (desktop, server, education, etc) so the software
included per individual distribution will vary. The distributor (in your
case the telecom vendor) is resposible for maintaining the included
software and releasing patches for this. They may develop their own
patches or use community developed patches.
The fact that they adhere to the CGL requirements provides only the
guarantee that their implementation meets certain standards. It does not
say anything on how fast patches are released etc.

See this wiki link for more explanation of a distribution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mico