[Chaoss-members] Creation of a new project on Diversity and Inclusion Metrics/Software

Sean Goggins s at goggins.com
Fri Nov 10 20:11:32 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel and Everyone!

I think the role of geography in defining racial diversity is an important point Daniel makes. This is especially true when there are significant populations of indigenous peoples living alongside colonizers like my ancestors.

If we focus on providing what metrics we can about distributions of different peoples in a population I think we are on solid ground.

Those applying our metrics can make choices about how to interpret. And, as noted elsewhere, this is data not usually in software repositories, so we will need to get it elsewhere.

sean

> On Nov 10, 2017, at 1:33 PM, D M German <dmg at turingmachine.org <mailto:dmg at turingmachine.org>> wrote:
>
> Jono Bacon twisted the bytes to say:
>
> Jono> I think CHAOSS helping to define effective metrics for measuring diversity
> Jono> and inclusion initiatives is worthy work. It goes without saying that we
> Jono> should be building more inclusive personalities and companies, and I think
> Jono> CHAOSS could play a useful role in determining how to measure progress in
> Jono> these areas.
>
> i fully agree.
>
> Jono> My worry here is that this is a politically charged topic with a wide
> Jono> variety of opinions and perspectives and that the project could get bogged
> Jono> down into semantics about what "diversity" means and what "inclusion" means
> Jono> as opposed to producing pragmatic materials and technology to help move the
> Jono> needle. As such, I would recommend:
>
> I would just add that what is diverse (in general) is very geographical
> dependent, specially when it comes to race.
>
> --
> Daniel M. German
> http://turingmachine.org/ <http://turingmachine.org/>
> http://silvernegative.com/
> dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
> replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

Sean P. Goggins
Associate Professor, Computer Science
Director, Data Science and Analytics Masters Program
University of Missouri
http://www.seangoggins.net <http://www.seangoggins.net/>

Computer Science:  http://engineering.missouri.edu/cs/  <http://engineering.missouri.edu/cs/>
Data Science & Analytics: http://dsa.missouri.edu <http://dsa.missouri.edu/>
MU Informatics Institute http://muii.missouri.edu <http://muii.missouri.edu/>
visit: http://www.sociotech.net <http://www.sociotech.net/>
visit: http://osshealth.io <http://osshealth.io/> (for ghdata OSS Metrics Software) [Sloan Foundation]
visit:  <http://chaoss.community/>http://c <http://c/>haoss.community (for open source health metrics) [Sloan Foundation]
visit: http://mhs.missouri.edu <http://mhs.missouri.edu/> (for mission hydro sci!) [i3 & IES]
visit: http://ocdx.io <http://ocdx.io/> (for the open collaboration data exchange!)   [National Science Foundation]
visit: http://sociallycompute.io <http://sociallycompute.io/> (for code like things and Group Informatics) [National Science Foundation]
‌‌
"I finally comprehended the difference between critical thinking and its opposite.  Technical people are not dumb, quite the contrary, but technical curricula rarely include critical thinking in the sense I have in mind.  Critical thinking means that you can, so to speak, see your glasses.  You can look at the world, or you can back up and look at the framework of concepts and assumptions and practices *through* which you look at the world."
-- Phil Agre, http://wtf.tw/ref/agre.html <http://wtf.tw/ref/agre.html>