[Chaoss-members] Creation of a new project on Diversity and Inclusion Metrics/Software

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.com
Fri Nov 10 20:20:40 UTC 2017

One other thought, with the enormous caveat that I am by no means an expert
on D&I.

In my mind, where I see particular value for CHAOSS in this topic is in the
facilitation and optimization of *inclusion*. In a nutshell, while many
communities and organizations are trying to have certain ratios of
underrepresented groups groups (e.g. X% of an organization are women, X%
are trans etc), I think this us a more complex area for CHAOSS to drive
value.

I see CHAOSS as a powerful force in defining metrics for health in open
source projects, in particular as it relates to people being able to
deliver sustained contributions with little friction.. As such, I would
rather we focus on which metrics can help maintainers to understand if
underrepresented groups are facing barriers and hurdles that others are not
(e.g. unconscious bias, certain meeting times, certain cultural norms), so
they can remove these barriers and optimize the community for diverse
participation.

I think if we do this well, it will help to improve the ratios of
underrepresented groups in communities as we will be providing maintainers
and community leaders pragmatic data points they can use to be be informed
of these issues and make a difference.

 Homepage <http://www.jonobacon.com/> · About Me
<http://www.jonobacon.com/about/> · Consulting Services
<http://www.jonobaconconsulting.com/> · Twitter