[Chaoss-members] Proposal for a FOSDEM devroom

Matt Germonprez germonprez at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 12:48:44 UTC 2017

Thanks very much for this Jesus. I honestly did have any comments beyond
what Ray included. Nicely done :)

Matt

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Raymond Paik <rpaik at linuxfoundation.org>
wrote:

> Jesus,
>
> Thanks for getting this started.  I have some suggestions for edits below
> (highlighted in blue)...
>
> Ray
>
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona <
> jgb at bitergia.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As I committed during one of our preparatory meetings, I've prepared a
>> proposal for a devroom at FOSDEM [1]. I think most of you know about
>> FOSDEM, but just in case, it is the major European conference for FOSS
>> developers, with 5,000-8,000 developers meeting together in Brussels in
>> February. It includes some main tracks, and devrooms. devrooms are
>> rooms devoted to specific topics, and there are several tens of them
>> running in parallel. Every year, they publish a call for devrooms, and
>> there is where I propose to submit our proposal.
>>
>> [1] http://fosdem.org
>>
>> I've prepared the proposal based in the work some of us did for FOSDEM
>> 2013 (which didn't succeed), and in other related proposals in which I
>> participated in 2006-09 (which succeeded, with a FOSS research devroom
>> running for several years).
>>
>> The draft proposal is below. Any comment (including proposals of
>> change) is welcome. If you would be interested in backing the proposal,
>> and finding some other backers, that would be great (I've preferred to
>> base the proposal on persons rather than on CHAOSS as a group to make
>> it clear that our idea is inclusive to others).
>>
>> Saludos,
>>
>>        Jesus.

>> * Proposal for a FOSDEM devroom: FOSS Development Analytics*
>>
>> ** Main objectives **
>>
>> To reinforce the emerging community interest in FOSS (free, open
>> source software) development analytics.
>>
>> More specifically:
>>
>> - To discuss the current status of FOSS tools in this area
>> - To share models about FOSS health and sustainability based on factual
>> data
>> - To share experiences by FOSS projects already doing their own
>> analytics
>> - To find ways of pooling development effort and other resources
>> - To explore the requirements and functionality of future platforms
>>
>> ** Summary **
>>
>> Tools and platforms for analyzing and visualizing information from
>> software repositories (source code management, bug reporting /
>> ticketing, code review, mailing lists, etc.) are flourishing. Many of
>> them are proprietary, which means that in many cases, FOSS (free, open
>> source software) projects are using proprietary tools to
>> analyze themselves.
>>
>> There is also a lot of interest in models to evaluate the health,
>> quality or sustainability of FOSS projects, based on factual data
>> retrieved mainly from their repositories. But there are little
>> opportunities of sharing these interests, and the experiences in
>> building and applying these models, in venues where all stakeholders are
> [...]

Mutual of Omaha Associate Professor
Information Systems
College of Information Science & Technology
University of Nebraska Omaha
http://faculty.ist.unomaha.edu/mgermonprez/cv.txt