[Chaoss-members] Proposal for a FOSDEM devroom

Sean Goggins s at goggins.com
Thu Sep 21 19:53:20 UTC 2017

Thank you, Jesus!

Sean

From: <chaoss-members-bounces at lists.linuxfoundation.org> on behalf of "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jgb at bitergia.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 5:14 PM
To: Matt Germonprez <germonprez at gmail.com>
Cc: <chaoss-members at lists.linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [Chaoss-members] Proposal for a FOSDEM devroom

Thanks to you all for your support. The proposal was sent. See attached

message.

            Jesus.

On Mon, 2017-09-18 at 05:28 -0500, Matt Germonprez wrote:

Thanks for following through with this Jesus.

Matt

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 2:53 AM, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona <jgb at bite

rgia.com> wrote:

> [...]

> All the materials used in the talks, demos and other activities

> will be

> published under free culture licenses.

> Since this is the first year the devroom will be celebrated, we

> envision having a half-day (morning or afternoon) devroom, but a

> full

> day devroom will also be possible.

> * Why does it fit FOSDEM

> FOSDEM is the main meeting, worldwide, for FOSS developers.

> Therefore,

> it is the best place to have discussions on how to do analytics on

> FOSS

> development, to learn about the interests of FOSS developers, to

> listen

> to their stories of how they are already doing analytics in their

> projects, etc.

> Besides, we're concerned that many FOSS developers are consuming

> analytics prodcued with non-FOSS tools, which they cannot modify,

> audit

> or even understand. We want to specifically address this situation,

> making the FOSS development community at large aware of the

> situation,

> informing about alternatives using FOSS tools, and discussing how

> coordinate the projects already producing FOSS tools in this

> domain.

> * Primary contact:

> Jesus M.

> Gonzalez-Barahona

> jgb at bitergia.com

> I've been researching FOSS development for more than 15 years. I

> was

> one of the organizers of the Research devroom at FOSDEM (2007-

> 2009),

> and come to FOSDEM almost every year. In 2012 I co-founded

> Bitergia, a

> startup devoted to FOSS analytics, which follows a business model

> based

> on producing FOSS software. I started around 2005 one of the

> earlier

> projects for FOSS Analytics, Grimoire Tools, and I'm a contributor

> of

> GrimoireLab, a new project which has built all the analytics

> toolchain

> from scratch, reusing other FOSS components. I'm one of the

> founders of

> the CHAOSS collaborative project.

> * Secondary contact:

> Stefano

> Zacchiroli

> zack at upsilon.cc

> Stefano Zacchiroli is an academic and computer scientist. He is

> also a

> free software activist and developer. He served as Debian Project

> Leader from 2010 to 2013, and is one of the co-founders and current

> CTO

> of Software Heritage. He serves as board director of the Open

> Source

> Initiative. He has many years of experience on extracting and

> analyzing

> information related to FOSS development.

Mutual of Omaha Associate Professor

Information Systems

College of Information Science & Technology

University of Nebraska Omaha

http://faculty.ist.unomaha.edu/mgermonprez/cv.txt

Chaoss-members at lists.linuxfoundation.org