[Chaoss-members] diversity and open source: measure anti-diversity

dmg dmg at turingmachine.org
Mon Aug 13 21:33:20 UTC 2018

Let me put my OSS developer hat, and try to clarify.

Being pro-diversity seems to imply that I will have to take actions
that are specific towards increasing diversity (please note that what
I am arguing is not politically inclined
i am just trying to be objective).

1. there is a difference between the "state of diversity" of a project
and its "actions towards increasing diversity".

2. The state of diversity is the objective metric of how diverse a
project is or has been.

3. The actions towards increasing/decreasing diversity are actions
that the project takes that have a direct (or sometimes indirect)
effect on diversity.

4. I am arguing mostly from #3: actions towards increasing/decreasing diversity.

5. If I am a developer or a project leader, I might be "diversity
agnostic".  I might care about actions towards increasing diversity,
but I might be very much against being in a project that has
anti-diversity actions.

6. If I am "shopping" for a project to join, I might steer away from a
project that is clearly anti-diversity.

7. Of course, one major challenge is that the type of diversity has
actions that are perceived as positive/negative (according to the type
of diversity).

8. Also, some projects (specially those sponsored by trade
associations such as the Linux and OpenStack Foundations) might want
to have a perception that they are working towards increasing
diversity
(even if their current diversity is very low). that is why I think it
is important to separate the actions towards/against diversity vs the
state of diversity.

9. As an example, let us assume that the "sentiment" analysis of a
project leads towards a conclusion that a project has anti-diversity
actions. yet the project is diverse (think Linux).

--dmg

---
D M German
http://turingmachine.org