[Chaoss-Board] CHAOSS Goals 2020

Daniel Izquierdo daniel.izquierdo.cortazar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 09:57:07 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

Sorry for being late to this conversation. After FOSDEM recovery is slow :).

Aligned with what Andrea proposed, I was involved years ago in some EU
funded projects and in some of the cases benchmarking was kind of an
interesting approach as this brings context to any potential discussion.

I remember there's in another CHAOSS thread a discussion about having a
software catalogue, so the question I may have if I'm deciding to use
certain software is how this compares to others.

Benchmarking is not about saying this is good or bad, but you can compare
certain aspects (e.g., the current metrics release) with your own specific
project, and this will show how far you are from the average.

I see value in this approach as CHAOSS brings context to the metrics as
this aggregates project/organization/ecosystem level. And this is useful
for the following stakeholders:

1- Open Source Foundations, OSS project managers, community managers, etc,
as this may help understand if compared to others, and lessons learned can
flow from one project to another (e.g., why are you so efficient in the
code review process? or You're very stable in the code production, this
helps a lot to do certain estimations, how can Iearn from you?).
2- This might be useful for OSPOs as this would be a place to have a look
at and compare if they want the projects that matter to them with well
known projects. And this would be useful for organizations consuming the
software as well.
3- From the InnerSource world, this is interesting if we go and analyze
specific use cases such as transparency, communication, etc, as this will
help to compare how far they are from the 'ideal' world.

I can elaborate a bit more each of the areas if needed :).

Regards,
Daniel.