[Chaoss-Board] How to continue CHAOSScast? [Fwd: Rebase is shutting down on Sept 18]

Georg Link linkgeorg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 21:24:18 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

TL/DR:
I just got below message that Rebase will shut down and stop supporting CHAOSScast in two weeks.
The good news is that we own CHAOSScast and will not lose anything.
The bad news is that we need to find a new way to sustain the podcast.

I’m informing you about this development so that we can find a solution together.
Your thoughts are welcome.

Rebase provided the following key services:
1. Zoom room for recording
2. Audio editing
3. Show notes creation
4. Fireside account
5. Add revenue sharing

I don’t know how we want to move forward yet but want to start the conversation with you all.
Thinking about the services and what alternative options we have:

1) Zoom room for recording
* Option 1: I hope we can cover this with the CHAOSS Zoom that we are getting.
* Option 2: We use a different tool like Jitsi meet.
* Other options?

2) Audio editing
* Option 1: Hire Paul, who has done an amazing job so far: $99 per episode.
* Option 2: Hire someone else.
* Option 3: We find a volunteer in our community who does it for free and for the love of the project.
* Other options?

3) Show notes creation
* Option 1: Hire DeAnn for $60 per episode
* Option 2: Hire someone else
* Option 3: We find a volunteer in our community who does it for free and for the love of the project.
* Option 4: Not have show notes
* Other options?

4) Fireside account
* Option 1: We take over the fireside account for $19/month
* Option 2: We find a different way of hosting, e.g., WordPress plugin
* Other options?

5) Add revenue sharing
The add revenue was a key reason to work with CPN and Rebase because it financed the audio editing, show notes, and hosting while also giving us some money to use for thank you notes and possibly equipment.
* Option 1: We find our own sponsors to pay for audio editing, show notes, and hosting.
* Option 2: We do everything supported by volunteers only.
* Other options?

How much money do we have for CHAOSScast?
$181.95 = we have $479.95 in the OpenCollective but spent $298 for thank you cards in CommunityBridge.

How much money would we need to raise to financially support the podcast?
+ Audio editing: $99/episode
+ Show notes: $60/episode
+ Hosting: $19/month
+ Thank you notes: $6/episode (already paid for, except postage)
————
= $679/month for 4 episodes per month
= $349/month for 2 episodes per month

Best,