[Chaoss-Board] How to continue CHAOSScast? [Fwd: Rebase is shutting down on Sept 18]

Matt Germonprez germonprez at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 20:14:59 UTC 2020

Hi Georg,

Thanks for the follow-up on this.

Yes, I think that we need to slow the cadence. The problem, even with what
you propose, is that our current Community Bridge account would only fund
this for two months. I'm hoping to address this but for now, this is where
things are at. I would say, perhaps, one month under this model (funds to
be approved by the finance team) and during that time, we pretty
aggressively look for financial sponsorship for CHAOSScast.

Matt

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 2:59 PM Georg Link <linkgeorg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Any thoughts on how to continue CHAOSScast without Rebase.fm's services?
>
> I propose we do the following:
> 1. Continue to use Firebase for hosting podcast ($19/month)
> 2. Pay for audio editing ($99/episode).
> 3. Pay for detailed show notes ($60/episode).
> 4. Reduce release frequency to every other week to cut cost.
> 5. Approach sponsors to secure funding for CHAOSScast.
>
> This will cost us $349/month for 2 episodes per month.
>
> I can lay out the expenses and request a refund through Community Bridge.
>
> Best,
> Georg
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 4:24 PM Georg Link <linkgeorg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> TL/DR:
>> I just got below message that Rebase will shut down and stop supporting
>> CHAOSScast in two weeks.
>> The good news is that we own CHAOSScast and will not lose anything.
>> The bad news is that we need to find a new way to sustain the podcast.
>>
>> I’m informing you about this development so that we can find a solution
>> together.
>> Your thoughts are welcome.
>>

>> Rebase provided the following key services:
>> 1. Zoom room for recording
>> 2. Audio editing
>> 3. Show notes creation
>> 4. Fireside account
>> 5. Add revenue sharing
>>
>> I don’t know how we want to move forward yet but want to start the
>> conversation with you all.
>> Thinking about the services and what alternative options we have:
>>
>> 1) Zoom room for recording
>> * Option 1: I hope we can cover this with the CHAOSS Zoom that we are
>> getting.
>> * Option 2: We use a different tool like Jitsi meet.
>> * Other options?
>>
>> 2) Audio editing
>> * Option 1: Hire Paul, who has done an amazing job so far: $99 per
>> episode.
>> * Option 2: Hire someone else.
>> * Option 3: We find a volunteer in our community who does it for free and
>> for the love of the project.
>> * Other options?
>>
>> 3) Show notes creation
>> * Option 1: Hire DeAnn for $60 per episode
>> * Option 2: Hire someone else
>> * Option 3: We find a volunteer in our community who does it for free and
>> for the love of the project.
>> * Option 4: Not have show notes
>> * Other options?
>>
>> 4) Fireside account
>> * Option 1: We take over the fireside account for $19/month
>> * Option 2: We find a different way of hosting, e.g., WordPress plugin
>> * Other options?
>>
>> 5) Add revenue sharing
>> The add revenue was a key reason to work with CPN and Rebase because it
>> financed the audio editing, show notes, and hosting while also giving us
>> some money to use for thank you notes and possibly equipment.
>> * Option 1: We find our own sponsors to pay for audio editing, show
> [...]

Mutual of Omaha Professor
Information Systems
College of Information Science & Technology
University of Nebraska Omaha
CV: https://bit.ly/2kftONr

CHAOSS Board Member
https://chaoss.community/