[Chaoss-Board] CHAOSS response to FSF

Dawn Foster dawn at dawnfoster.com
Sat Apr 3 09:34:47 UTC 2021

I think we should try to get the email out fairly soon. While I don't
object to following it up with a blog post, I have a slight preference for
not doing it. I think a statement to our community via email is enough to
let people know that we take this seriously.

At this point, I would not recommend moderating posts for the entire
mailing list. We have many existing community members who can be trusted to
behave appropriately.

There is a very small chance that some trolls could descend on the list and
cause trouble. If we see some suspicious behavior, we could reactively
enable this list admin setting for a week or 2 as the default for new
accounts:
"default member moderation
Member postings are held for moderation if their moderation flag is turned
on. Note that only the list administrators can change the value of a
member’s moderation flag. You can control whether new members get their
moderation flag turned on or off by default when they subscribe to the
list. By turning this flag off by default, postings by members will be
allowed without further intervention (barring other restrictions such as
size or implicit recipient lists – see below). By turning the flag on, you
can quarantine new member postings to make sure that they meet your
criteria for netiquette, topicality, etc. Once you determine that the new
member understands the community’s posting rules, you can turn off their
moderation flag and let their postings go through unstopped."

However, I also wouldn't enable this unless we start to have a problem.

Regardless of what we decide, we should make sure that the people who admin
the ML are available (not on holiday) and ideally, spread out across time
zones when the email goes out.

Cheers,
Dawn