[Chaoss-Board] Minutes from Board Meeting on May 4, 2021

Georg Link linkgeorg at gmail.com
Tue May 4 19:01:59 UTC 2021

CHAOSS Board Meeting Spring 2021

Virtual meeting in CHAOSS Zoom

May 4, 2021

Attendees (please include affiliation):

Board members:

   1.

   Don Marti, CafeMedia
   2.

   Georg Link, Bitergia
   3.

   Armstrong Foundjem, Queen’s University, Canada
   4.

   Amy Marrich, Red Hat and Open Infrastructure Foundation
   5.

   Daniel Izquierdo, Bitergia
   6.

   Kate Stewart,  Linux Foundation
   7.

   Sean Goggins, University of Missouri
   8.

   Matt Germonprez, University of Nebraska at Omaha
   9.

   Dawn Foster, VMware
   10.

   Andrea Gallo, Linaro
   11.

   Nicole Huesman
   12.

   Ildiko Vancsa, Open Infrastructure Foundation
   13.
   14.
   15.

    Guests:

   1.

   Elizabeth Barron
   2.

   Manrique Lopez de la Fuente
   3.

Agenda and Notes:

   -

   Meeting Called to Order: 1:02pm US/Central Time
   -

      Quorum: yes

   -

   DEI Event Badging Initiative
   -

      17 events earned a badge, all Gold badges
      -

      Great experience for the open review process

   -

   Metrics Health Reports
   -

      Goal was to get metrics in front of people and engage them
      -

      Very few requests but a lot of manual work
      -

      Reports can be seen directly in Augur and Cauldron
      -

      Remove from website and stop this initiative?
      -

         Maybe leave it for a bit longer to see if someone shows up
         -

         We can always point

   -

   CHAOSScast
   -

      Great job and numbers!

   -

   Licensing
   -

      Reminder that we have different licenses
      -

   -

   CHAOSS Brand
   -

      We started work on a certification program for CHAOSS metric
      implementation in tools
      -

      We may need reference projects to test tools against
      -

         Kate offers Zephyr for this
         -

      We have some language prepared with help of Steve from LF to start
      with this
      -

      There has not been any movement on this or any drive to move this
      forward right now
      -

      Not to develop a reference tool but use Augur and GrimoireLab for that
      -

      “We speak CHAOSS” badge (not: powered by)
      -

      Maybe reach out to the Apache Kibble project to see if a
      certification would even be interesting and how this would work.
      -

      Do we have an easy way (“Brand Toolkit”) for someone to use when they
      are using CHAOSS things?
      -

         The best we have is: https://chaoss.community/media/
         -

         Maybe we need to develop some guidelines to help people who want
         to talk about CHAOSS
         -

      Maybe have a list of “CHAOSS in action” similar to InnerSource:
      https://chaoss.community/media/
      -

      https://lfx.linuxfoundation.org/tools/insights example of credit
      -

      Action Item: Nicole and Kate want to move forward the idea of a Brand
      Toolkit

   -

   Metrics Release 2021-03
   -

      Automation of the release process - Thank you!
      -

      57 total metrics in the last release
      -

      Next release -- Maybe Seattle?

   -

   Working Group and Software Updates
   -

      DEI WG
      -

         New effort: DEI understanding within the CHAOSS Project (6-9
         months)
         -

      Evolution WG
      -

         Restructure of repo
         -

         New metrics in work
         -

      Common WG
      -

         New Metrics:
         -

            Time waiting for committer action
            -

            Event location, Collaboration Platforms
            -

            Bot Metrics
            -

      Risk WG
      -

         Deep conversations about Dependencies; building a foundation for
         defining metrics
         -

         A small number of metrics released
         -

         MVP (minimum viable product) metrics for dependencies
         -

      Value WG
      -

         Needs stability and focus: most change, most adrift of all WGs
         -

         3 different people leading the WG since inception
         -

         Currently connecting with university OSPO to define relevant
         metrics
         -

      App Ecosystem WG
      -

         Persona: Event Organizers -- published on OpenSource.com
         -

         Currently: Communication and Promotion Teams
         -

      Augur
      -

         Starting to engage in Machine Learning
         -

            Last year’s GSOC projects
            -

         Accomplishment includes adding GitLab data
         -

         Next: better forms of communications in open source; and improve
         machine learning workers
         -

      GrimoireLab
      -

         New SortingHat with GraphQL
         -

         New data source: Weblate
         -

         Improved PI anonymization
         -

         Cauldron Cloud service built on GrimoireLab, now with PI data
         -

         Next: Bestiary, backend for managing data sources
         -

         More detailed view:
         https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T2yg4K5h8pOIUzCIxdGEH6gADDM8_UD4vuiPV3KslrU/edit?usp=sharing

         -

      Cregit
      -

         Updates with each Linux Kernel release
         -

         Adding more views

   -

   Board Membership and Chairs
   -

      Nicole is new co-chair
      -

      Amy Marrich and Armstrong Foundjem are new board members

   -

   Finances
   -

      We started an OpenCollective because we applied for Google Season of
      Docs
      -

      We could pay invoices through OpenCollective
      -

      OpenCollective charges 10% fee --- not worth switching to it yet

   -

   Outreach & Future Events
   -

      Did we get contacted by GraceHopper this year (July 15)? -- No.
      -

      CHAOSScon
      -

         Weekend before?
         -

         Amy can possibly help organize
         -

      Other future events:
      -

         Submit abstracts to other events, e.g. Linaro Connect
         -

         Maybe run analysis on open source projects and present at their
         conferences -- win-win bringing value to that event and also bringing
         visibility to CHAOSS
         -

   Mentorship
   -

      Update on last year’s and this year’s mentorship projects and
      opportunities

   -

   Good of the Order
   -

      None

   -

   Meeting Adjourned: 1:58pm US/Central Time

--
Georg Link, PhD
(he/him)