[Chaoss-software] [Oss-health-metrics] GrimoireLab areas of analysis/metrics and data sources

Jason Clark jtclark at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sun Dec 31 04:55:27 UTC 2017

+1 to the idea of doing a walkthrough. +1 to the additional information you provided on the currently supported metrics. I encourage you to add this information to the product comparison research repo [1].

Cheers,

Jason T Clark
Senior Software Engineer, IBM
jtclark at linux.vnet.ibm.com
jason.clark at ibm.com
RC: jtclark

[1]: https://github.com/jasontclark/chaoss-product-comparison <https://github.com/jasontclark/chaoss-product-comparison>

> [...]
>>> can be found in each of the standard panels produced in
>>> GrimoireLab. These are used in two ways:
>>>
>>>  * As technology independent way of defining database schemas.
>>>
>>>  * As the first steps to test that the final panels are currently
>>> aligned with those schemas.
>>>
>>> These schemas can be found at [1]. As an example, we could go for
>>> the Bugzilla schema at [2] that contains 66 different entries. And
>>> for each of those fields we can potentially build any metric or
>>> filter.
>>>
>>> As another example, the Meetup CSV at [3] contains 72 different
>>> fields that could lead to potentially 72 metrics. This is of course
>>> not absolutely true as there are fields used simply for filtering
>>> internally, but well, you can have an idea of how this works :).
>>>
>>> As you can see there is still room for improvement and it's in the
>>> roadmap to start adding small descriptions to each of the fields
>>> and other attributes that could help to better define all of this.
>>> There are so far 24 CSV files that basically indicates that there
>>> is a file per data source. (I just realized that the Twitter one is
>>> empty, it's a bug!).
>>>

>>> 2. Common Fields
>>>
>>> After having a look at the several schemas, we're trying in
>>> GrimoireLab to keep the same name of some of the fields across all
>>> of the indexes. There is some extra information at [4], but the
>>> platform is ready to recognize a developer uuid/name ('author_uuid
>>> field' or 'author_name' field) across several data sources. In this
>>> way it's easy to produce panels with aggregated information for
>>> such profile. This works in the same way for other common fields
>>> such as the organization a developer belongs to ('author_org_name'
>>> field) or the project a specific event belongs to ('project' or
>>> 'project_1' fields).
>>>

>>> 3. Panels
>>>
>>> The panels are the visualization proposed as standard by the
>>> developers of GrimoireLab and those are based on experiences
>>> talking to community managers, engineers, etc.  There are of course
>>> other potential panels and this is 'easy' to update once you have
>>> the platform and indexes built.
>>>
>>> With this respect any new panel is more than welcome, and there are
>>> some contributing guidelines available at [5]. In any case the goal
>>> of this email was to focus attention on the list of potential
>>> metrics available as standards (although others can be produced as
>>> well generating new indexes).
>>>
>>> The current set of existing panels are available at [6]. Each of
>>> these panels typically matches to one or more CSV file as they may
>>> contain information from several data sources. There are right now
>>> around 55 panels created.
>>>

>>> I hope this helps a bit :).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Daniel.
>>>

>>> [1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com
>>> _grimoirelab_panels_tree_master_schema&d=DwIGaQ&c=kj4KSSBt5oOaHuCCp
>>> WXkZw&r=teUeYebJI-L6KKiChnEwHjI7huGN0aOyhRGk1iMG8kY&m=Zlc1wbl-
>>> NooHEv1UNSQv28AEToKYh94TP2WOqeNPhAI&s=In4tm5W5bk1i_tMWMU5XGu4oWlljP
>>> 8Y4lhDaxbP84rw&e=
>>>
>>> [2] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com
>>> _grimoirelab_panels_blob_master_schema_bugzilla.csv&d=DwIGaQ&c=kj4K
>>> SSBt5oOaHuCCpWXkZw&r=teUeYebJI-
>>> L6KKiChnEwHjI7huGN0aOyhRGk1iMG8kY&m=Zlc1wbl-
>>> NooHEv1UNSQv28AEToKYh94TP2WOqeNPhAI&s=3cjnlPiclRd36f8osY-
>>> 8RYJRRCq_fxTTYkNQYzZJmMg&e=
>>>
>>> [3] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com
>>> _grimoirelab_panels_blob_master_schema_meetup.csv&d=DwIGaQ&c=kj4KSS
>>> Bt5oOaHuCCpWXkZw&r=teUeYebJI-
>>> L6KKiChnEwHjI7huGN0aOyhRGk1iMG8kY&m=Zlc1wbl-
>>> NooHEv1UNSQv28AEToKYh94TP2WOqeNPhAI&s=QKHxYjPp4XJFHywDyGK4csNbcL_dj
>>> JnrK_MsIo6-z1s&e=
>>>
>>> [4] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com
>>> _grimoirelab_panels-23common-2Dindex-
>>> 2Dfields&d=DwIGaQ&c=kj4KSSBt5oOaHuCCpWXkZw&r=teUeYebJI-
>>> L6KKiChnEwHjI7huGN0aOyhRGk1iMG8kY&m=Zlc1wbl-
>>> NooHEv1UNSQv28AEToKYh94TP2WOqeNPhAI&s=pZUZ1j1fqnsmrCCD-
>>> rFoHlHNWgeI1iDQjpjR8gh7YUs&e=
>>>
>>> [5] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com
>>> _grimoirelab_panels_blob_master_CONTRIBUTING.md&d=DwIGaQ&c=kj4KSSBt
>>> 5oOaHuCCpWXkZw&r=teUeYebJI-
>>> L6KKiChnEwHjI7huGN0aOyhRGk1iMG8kY&m=Zlc1wbl-
>>> NooHEv1UNSQv28AEToKYh94TP2WOqeNPhAI&s=mv0h0voKV-
>>> A1CmqUQHiaMenrReCjelE_Uj_XG2DetoU&e=
>>>
>>> [6] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com
>>> _grimoirelab_panels_tree_master_json&d=DwIGaQ&c=kj4KSSBt5oOaHuCCpWX
>>> kZw&r=teUeYebJI-L6KKiChnEwHjI7huGN0aOyhRGk1iMG8kY&m=Zlc1wbl-
>>> NooHEv1UNSQv28AEToKYh94TP2WOqeNPhAI&s=46wq8XoylTi-
>>> E2wn2eiONpSJW8mz9UmZXFCSmQCEGgM&e=
>>>

>>> --
>>> Daniel Izquierdo Cortazar, PhD
>>> Chief Data Officer
>>> ---------
>>> "Software Analytics for your peace of mind"
>>> www.bitergia.com
>>> @bitergia

>>> 2Dmetrics&d=DwIGaQ&c=kj4KSSBt5oOaHuCCpWXkZw&r=teUeYebJI-
>>> L6KKiChnEwHjI7huGN0aOyhRGk1iMG8kY&m=Zlc1wbl-
>>> NooHEv1UNSQv28AEToKYh94TP2WOqeNPhAI&s=LuaBfJbDLkwKe_To9EnBOpf_xWgS6