[Chaoss-software] [CoC working group] Invite to Code of Conduct working group

Georg Link glink at unomaha.edu
Tue Nov 14 22:46:52 UTC 2017

Hi CHAOSS Community,

The CoC working group had its first call today.
We make our process open to the whole community, share our minutes here
with you, and archive them on the mailing lists.

IRC Minutes:
http://ircbot.wl.linuxfoundation.org/meetings/chaoss-community/2017/chaoss-community.2017-11-14-21.01.html
IRC Log:
http://ircbot.wl.linuxfoundation.org/meetings/chaoss-community/2017/chaoss-community.2017-11-14-21.01.log.html

===== On Call =====
- Georg Link
- Jesus M Gonzales-Barahona
- Sean Goggins
- Vicky Janicki

Absent:
- Alexander Serebrenik
- Ray Paik

===== Agenda =====
- Agree on working group procedure
- Agree on why we want a CoC for CHAOSS
- Agree on features we want our CoC to have
- Agree on criteria for evaluating a CoC. (removed because duplicate with
previous)
- Determine next steps and next meeting

====== Agree on working group procedure ======
We use the first meeting to determine the requirements for a CHAOSS CoC.
Then we spend some time individually evaluating existing CoC’s against our
requirements. The goal is to find a CoC we are comfortable with and avoid
writing our own. In our second call, we discuss the benefits and shortfalls
of existing CoC’s and formulate a recommendation to the CHAOSS governance
board.

The result of the meetings will be posted to the mailing lists.

====== Agree on why we want a CoC for CHAOSS ======
The CHAOSS Project has in its charter section 5 for a code of conduct.

5. Code of Conduct
     1. The GB may adopt a fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory Project
code-of-conduct, with approval from The Linux Foundation as outlined below.
     2. The Project will operate in a transparent, open, collaborative, and
ethical manner at all times.
     3. The output of all Project discussions, proposals, timelines,
decisions, and status will be made open and easily visible to all.

This section encapsulates our core values of being an open community. It is
a rough guideline for everyone participating in the CHAOSS Project.
However, the charter gives the GB the power to implement a more detailed
Code of Conduct that is more specific on acceptable behavior and can
provide consequences for someone who does not behave according to our
values.

====== Agree on features we want our CoC to have ======

1) *Positive.* Some CoC seem more oriented to avoid bad behavior that
anything else. We prefer those that are positive, describing how the
community is and wants to be diverse, and how we all want to have diversity
in mind and how we encourage diversity. For example, We prefer to say "Our
community is inclusive, and respects any person, whichever their culture,
national origin, gender, age, ..." instead of having a list of "bad
behaviors". The former is more welcoming.

2) *Broad.* As broad as possible. To deal with as many different cases of
community behavior - instead of enumerating behaviors. - Balance between
being specific and generic that focuses on the idea.

3) *Equal.* A conflict of professional/work CoC with our CHAOSS CoC. We
will only propose our own Code of Conduct and cannot speak to other
communities and accepted behavior there. We can treat everyone as
responsible individuals who have to comply with our CoC in the same ways.

4) *Public.* Make all CoC incidences and consequences public. This does not
apply to the whole process, but to the final decisions.

5) *Reporting.* Have a private email address for reporting incidences. A
team of 3 are elected to watch this address and deal with the incidences
and escalate if necessary.

6) *Digital.* Some code of conducts are historically created for physical
spaces. We want one that is specified for digital spaces.

7) *Abstract.* Abstract with spirit of CoC at the top and then guidelines
specified in detail below.

8) *Consequences.* Outlines a way to deal with misconduct. Specifies
consequences for misconduct. - For example excluding someone from the
community.

====== Determine next steps and next meeting ======

Everyone looks at 1-2 codes of conduct and compares them against our
criteria.
Only put CoCs that one of us proposes in our table.
We have two evaluators/reviewers for each CoC.
We have a Google Doc, in which we capture the outcome of our work:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12NVJnFccSapPKK_
f5a7HjwgQ4VP2ws9Sn1IG2t8ha4g/edit?usp=sharing

We will meet once more to compare notes and make a recommendation.

Best,
Georg