[Chaoss-software] Proposal: adding GHData as one of the founding members

dmg dmg at turingmachine.org
Wed Nov 15 20:20:27 UTC 2017

I think it would be a good idea.

Although this would be a good project to test the admission mechanism
which we are supposed to develop.

Regarding GHData

I think it is a very good example of project that simply measures.

My only concern is that it relies on GHTorrent. Without GHtorrent GHdata is
not useful.

Sean, I submitted a request few days back to provide an alternative backend
(say a SQLite database
that mimics the schema of GHtorrent). Or we can find someway to integrate
the extraction of
prospector with GHData.

In other words, require GHData to have a cleaner interface to a backend so
it can be GHtorrent
or an alternative.

Otherwise the project is not very useful for most projects, since
installing GHtorrent
is too onerous.

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 3:32 AM, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona <jgb at gsyc.es>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After some discussion with its main author, Sean Goggins, we both
> propose to consider GHData [1] as one of the founding projects of the
> CHAOS Software TC.
>
> [1] https://github.com/OSSHealth/ghdata
>
> GHData is a Python library and REST server that provides data related
> to GitHub repositories. For providing its functionality, it consumes
> data from the GHTorrent dataset.
>
> GHData has been in use by several people from the CHAOSS Metrics TC for
> a while, and many of the metrics designed by them are implemented, as a
> proof of concept, by GHTorrent. Because of this history, it seems
> natural to consider GHTorrent as one of the founding projects of the
> CHAOSS Software TC. We also expect that it helps to bridge the gap
> between both CHAOSS committees. To work in this direction, we will
> explore how to integrate it with GrimoireLab (likely by building a
> Perceval connector for it) and other projects in the Software TC.
>
> Considering GHData as a founding member would also mean that it will be
> counted as the other three (cregit, Prospector and GrimoireLab) when
> selecting voting members of the TC for this initial period.
>
> If nobody opposes, we will update the website accordingly. If you have
> any comments or questions, Sean and me will be happy to answer.
>
> Saludos,
>
>         Jesus.
>
> --
> http://twitter.com/jgbarah          http://gsyc.es/~jgb