[Chaoss-software] [Introduction] Daniel German

D M German dmg at uvic.ca
Mon Oct 2 23:03:21 UTC 2017

 Jesus M Gonzalez-Barahona twisted the bytes to say:

 Jesus> Hi all,
 Jesus> This is my introduction to this list. Please, send yours as soon as you
 Jesus> can, so we can start to know each other ;-)

I am Daniel German (dmg) and I am professor of computer science at the
university of Victoria. I do both research and develop some FOSS
tools. One of them is cregit (see https://cregit.linuxsources.org),
another is ninka (a now somehow outdated license identification tool).

If you are curious, you can get an idea of the type of research that I
do here:

http://github.com/dmgerman/papers/

I do research in FOSS, software licensing, version control, among other
topics.

What is my main motivation to be here? That it opens venues for further
collaboration and research (e.g. translates to research that I can
potentially publish) or that I get engaged on topics that I enjoy in a
hobby manner (e.g. I do like writing software that is challenging to
build and gets used). Heterogeneous software ecosystems are becoming an
interesting research topic, and the ability to "measure" them is of
general interest. Nonetheless, there is a lot of literature on metrics,
and a common theme in software engineering research is that every
project is its own world, and it is difficult to generalize results.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I still have no idea what this
group expects to achieve. But I guess we'll find out.

by the, the ability to get funding for students would be great. I know
that this group does not have funding from any source, though.  I feel
that what this group needs is doers, and for me (and potentially other
faculty members), we have more things to do than time. And many of the
tasks that might be needed to do in this group might be better
achieved by students who we guide.

--daniel

--
Daniel M. German                  "Over himself, over his own body and mind,
   John Stuart Mill ->             the individual is sovereign."